Friday, May 4, 2018

Mail Art

To start this project, I had to figure out what kind of art I wanted to send through the mail. I did a little bit of research just looking at "mail art" to get some inspiration, and most of what I saw consisted of decorating or drawing on envelopes to send in the mail. That didn't appeal to me as much because I had in my head that I wanted to send art in an envelope, not have the envelope be the art itself. Regardless, I found this picture which inspired me to use micron pens in my art.
It happened that right after this project was assigned I was going to be travelling home to Seattle for the weekend for the funeral of my grandmother. Since I knew I needed to be working on the project over the weekend, I remembered my experience with Artist Trading Cards which I was really interested in in high school. They were small enough to take with me wherever I was going along with a couple micron pens. I found some examples of popular artist trading cards (bottom two images) but I really wanted to use micron pens rather than mixed media. Then I had to find some inspiration for what the subject matter was going to be. I looked on Pinterest and found these art works that I have seen before and really liked, but never tried the art style. 





I loved the nature aspect of the examples I found. Growing up in Seattle meant I was always inspired by nature- I was constantly surrounded by trees taller than buildings, mountains on any horizon, the ocean, rivers and lakes and waterfalls, and fresh air. Camping and hiking was a big part of my childhood, and still today I love spending time at home to enjoy the beauty and peacefulness of nature. It makes its way into my art quite often, and I don't think there will be any time in the future when I stop being inspired by the Pacific Northwest. Here are just a couple pictures of my home: 



























These bottom pictures are taken at the exact same place at the same waterfall 6 months apart. I thought it was really interesting to see the change of seasons around the same subject from the middle of winter with a dusting of snow and cold to the middle of summer when it was warm and sunny and green. So as I was starting these artist trading cards on my flight home I decided to incorporate the geometric style I had found earlier with my memories of trees and waterfalls and nature. I also ended up including some flowers and a fish, and a diamond with some flowers as well, but those all stemmed from the original inspiration. The cards were very fun to make and I really enjoyed sending them to my classmates. I attempted to send cards to specific people according to who I thought would like what best. I also decided to use an inkpad and put my fingerprint on the back instead of a signature. I thought it was a more personal touch to the art, and since I have gotten to know and care for the people in this class I thought it would make the art sharing more intimate.


Here are some other links of inspiration: 
I remember looking specifically at this website a few years ago when I first learned what artist trading cards were. It was very helpful for me and inspired me to buy artist trading card paper and start making them. 
As per usual, a video that gave me inspiration. This one was actually very similar to the idea that I had in my head of what I wanted to do, so this video helped me see the art actually made and really helped along the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment