Monday, May 7, 2018

Mail Art

                                                                                              Mail Art


              what is this?
                               
                                                                                            my art to other artists?
                                 
                                      do i trust?

                                                     
                                                              is it theirs?
                                                                                                                           separation anxiety?



I really enjoyed this project of mail art because it allowed me to channel my inner emotions.  During a span of about a week, I decided I was going to draw different emotions through characters that were projected in my head onto the card for my mail art. I used all different characters and colors to allow to recipient to channel the emotion I was feeling or the character that influenced my creative side of emotion.

At first when thinking about my mail art, I really did not know what I wanted to do. I started to reflect on the idea on my last piece and my final concept of the emotional characters. I found a website about an artist that made hyperrealistic paintings of women expressing different emotions. https://mymodernmet.com/bronwyn-hill-paintings/ I started out thinking I was going to make sketches of my emotions using realistic portraits of myself displaying my emotions during that specific moment in my life.



















I wanted to think a little more abstract about this project. I researched abstract face paintings and came across a website displaying many different abstract artist and abstract paintings. https://fineartamerica.com/art/paintings/abstract+face This website made my creative juices flow. I saw that there were a lot of distorted faces and emotions within individual pieces. I finally understood what path I was going to take. A lot of the pieces used vibrant colors in many different combinations. The illustrations of the faces created interesting forms and line work communicating multiple reads to the viewer. It all depended on how the viewer interpreted it. That was exactly what I wanted. I wanted the recipient of my mail art to interpret the piece of art and depending on how they interpreted it, determined the emotion and mindset my piece of art allowed them to channel.



































I decided to use a combination of marker, paint pens, stickers, googley eyes, glitter, and tape to create each piece. Starting with the envelope, on the back side of of the envelope I taped a 'X' and wrote 'ENTER' to allow the recipient to enter into a world of my emotional state. I also used a 'You're Invited' card to make the recipient feel welcomed when approaching the unopened card. On the inside, I used marker to create a character of the emotion I was feeling at that particular moment. I decided to use stickers, googley eyes, glitter, and paint paints to make the reader see this world I was creating as a whimsical, trance like state that I feel like I am always in.

No comments:

Post a Comment