Sunday, May 6, 2018

Mail Art

For this project I wanted to do something that would be a set of images. I think that the concept of sending lots of people a single piece of a larger image set is an interesting concept and I wanted to try it out. I thought about things that I could make into a mini series of drawings that would be interesting for an individual to have. I started out looking into artists who had done mail art before. I looked into Rudd Janssen and Anna Banana and the art pieces that they sent through the mail. Many were playful and fun, but also simplistic in style. They seemed like drawings that while made with intention were made quickly. These drawings were not month long masterpieces, yet they were well crafted and important. To do this I decided that mine needed to be similar, clean cut, simple, fast, but decisive and intentional. I became drawn to the TAM was here project by Rudd Janssen and I enjoyed the black and white pieces that were being sent through the mail. I decided that for this project working in pen would be a good medium to get the clean designs that I wanted, and also not being time consuming as other mediums can be.
As I looked into more into drawings with pen, I began to find other artists who while not necessarily making mail art, made clean and small simple pen drawings of different subjects. I was briefly drawn to the flash tattoo style of pen drawing, but I decided that this could lead to too many designs, and I was not interested in using color for this project. As I began to look at more pen drawings I began to find an interesting grouping of simple yet detailed pen drawings of flowers. Normally pictured with the flower that had been drawn. I then thought about all of the images that I personally take of flowers on almost a day to day basis and thought that this would be a perfect fit. I decided that for this project I would make small pen drawings of flower images that I had taken myself of flowers that I have seen around in all the places that I visit. I have flowers in this series that i purchased at the grocery store, that I have seen here on campus, that I visited in Dallas, and even that I saw in the gardens in Ecuador. I thought that making this project a mini series of a small part of my life would be an interesting way to connect 14 people through art, imagery, and the mail.


















Images:


Influences:

Guglielmo Achille Cavellini: https://www.widewalls.ch/artist/guglielmo-achille-cavellini/





No comments:

Post a Comment