Monday, May 14, 2018

Artist statement and bio



I have always had a profound interest and passion for the arts. My passion for art started the moment I could hold a pencil. I have always used art to express myself or to escape from difficult times in my life. From my childhood, what I remember the most is always drawing. On elementary school spelling tests, notes and homework, every margin is filled with doodles of classmates, imagined creatures, food and anything that popped into my head at the time. My parents enrolled me in summer art classes where I learned how to paint, do print-making, and use watercolors. For Christmas and birthdays I was always given sketchbooks, new pencils and I could not be happier. For as long as I can remember, art has allowed me to escape in circumstances where I feel trapped, driven to boredom or even just alone.
            I lost my father due to cancer when I was 12. He had the most beautiful watery blue eyes. Since his passing, drawing eyes has been something I always come back to. As soon as I am given the surface of a piece of paper, I begin to draw eyes. I have done this so often that I have even tried to draw eyes with my eyes closed, and have been successful. I like to use charcoal, and graphite when I draw eyes, and recently I’ve begun to use india ink. It allows for more diversity of line and freedom.
I’d say much of my art focuses portraiture and particularly on eyes as being the window to the soul. Eyes allow you to see all kinds of emotions even when the lips betray what the eyes speak. I find them fascinating and important and try to include them in all of my work. 

Bio:
Ellen Chapman was born in Alexandria, Virginia. She is currently attending Chapman University in Orange, California working to get her BFA in Creative Writing and a minor in Studio art. Her work as an artist is influenced by the beauty of the people who surround her, and she spends much of her time practicing studies of them. She wants to create work which allows their viewer to see the vulnerability and splendor of the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment