Sunday, May 13, 2018

Artist Statement




Sheridan Scifres
Advanced Drawing
Professor Cindy Rehm
May 13, 2018

Publicly…

I approached using watercolor as a medium for its well-known characteristics: the way it bounces off light, and its transparent qualities that allow for multiple layers. Finding my voice as an artist has been an uphill battle, juggling between ceramics, video, performance, painting, and drawing. The more I navigate through them, the more I slowly uncover bits of myself and the language I am creating. Most of my work is centered around the deep-rooted impact of humanity on the environment and the contrary impact of the digital era on society. How these intermix, play, and build up layers, to me, mirror the layering capabilities of watercolor.

In my series Publicly… I explore the deep-rooted layers of nearby counties: Riverside, Los Angeles, and Orange County, in the form of an anti-poster.  The word Publicly is often used to describe the public at large or to express views held, that others might not usually feel. By calling the 18 x 24in poster series Publicly… I reveal the underlying layers of these counties. Inspired from the old graphic style of WPA posters, I highlight the negatives of these counties in my use of color, whimsical language, and layout.

The color pallets reflect those of the old WPA art posters; mainly diluted yellows and browns with bold red and blue tones. The messages are clear and simple. By recording the hidden layers and negative sides of Southern California counties they act as unique snapshots of our current day society. 




No comments:

Post a Comment