Sunday, May 6, 2018

Mail Art

When the project was first introduced to us, I immediately thought of puzzle pieces. I would draw a picture, then give everyone a piece of the whole drawing. Then, I thought it would be interesting if there was some level of interaction required between the mail and the person who received it beyond just opening the letter and bringing it into class. I then thought of doing a color by number drawing and would give instructions to each person telling them what colors go with what numbers, that they’re allowed to use whatever media they want, and that the colors can be different variations or shades as long as they match the given key. I stuck with this idea and began to research images for me to translate into a color by number drawing. The first two images that I have below are examples of a color by number drawing. Originally, I was going to draw the piece then photocopy it before it was cut into puzzle pieces in case the image got lost in the mix of colors and media. I knew that the puzzle pieces were going to be small because they had to fit in an envelope and wanted to find an image to draw that made all pieces interesting to color. I thought of doing flowers in a field so that there was a lot of different colors present and abstract shapes in each of the puzzle pieces so that no one knew what the whole image was until the puzzle was put back together. The next three images show similar landscapes to what I wanted to draw. After doing some research, I decided that it would be too boring for some people who got caught getting only patches of green or another solid color in their puzzle piece, so I thought of doing something else. I looked at adult coloring pages for reference, which are the next three images I have below. I decided to do a mandala design so that each piece was unique and interesting with a lot of different shapes to add color in. The next image shows an example of a mandala similar to what I wanted mine to look like. After drawing out my mandala, I realized that some of the details that I had drawn were too small to put numbers in. Also, since the drawing is not of an object, I thought it would be cool to let people decide to color it without constraints. So, I put a note in each of the envelopes telling the person to color it and bring to class. Even if all of the colors were different, the lines would still match up and show the mandala. The last image I have is a template of puzzle pieces that I referenced when cutting the pieces up.
            I looked at the first link below as reference for making a puzzle. It shows a lot of different images of puzzle pieces and art that has to do with puzzles. The second link is to a blog post about some mail art that came together to form a rose on the envelopes, which is similar to my concept.
















No comments:

Post a Comment