Monday, May 7, 2018

Mail Art Project


I’ve always been a romantic. This began with being raised by two very in love parents who were constantly giving each other affection and tokens of their love and illustrating it in front of my siblings and I. My favorite movie as a child was Princess Bride, and I demanded to watch it weekly so I could see my childhood crush, Wesley. I dreamt about love, talked about it, told my mom what I wanted to be when I grew up was married. Needless to say, Valentine’s day was always one of my favorite holidays. I went all out making cards for my parents, friends, and crushes at school. Usually, I spent more time on the writing and content of the card than the design as I wanted each person to feel especially loved and appreciated by me. So for the mail art project, I immediately thought of my Valentine’s day cards, but this time, I wanted to spend little time on the writing, and more on the content of the card. I was also reminded of my childhood so in each card I gave it this childrens book/childlike illustration. I found much of my inspirations for the actual content and puns actually on Pinterest. I wanted them to be uniform across the board but with different drawings and puns on each card. I achieved this by drawing each one in the same style and also looking at hallmark greeting cards. I wanted each person to feel like they were anonymously being appreciated, as growing up that was one of my favorite feelings.
            For the material of the cards, I used paper, permanent markers and colored pencils. It was really fun to use the colored pencils as I hadn’t really dabbled in that this semester. I also felt the style of the colored pencils gave it more of a childish, sketchy quality which was what I was trying to achieve.
            Overall, I feel satisfied with the end product. I successfully created my first series in the style I wanted, and genuinely had fun creating these cute, flirty creatures. Below are some of my photos that I referenced and the three links that inspired me!











No comments:

Post a Comment