Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Reid's Artist Stament

Reid Christian Barraza 
14 May 2018
                                                             Artist’s Statement

     I use my visual art as a journal where I can pull images out of thoughts and questions in

my mind that are cloudy and need sorting. I do not create art that depicts themes or statements I know to be true, I create art to discover new things about myself or contemplate my opinions on external issues. I never put pressure on my art to result in answers or develop a distinct or legible visual.
     To encourage my art to be explorative, I think a lot about the elements of fire and water - fluid, ever-changing elements. The duality and variety of these elements inspires me. Water and fire are keys to life and are simultaneously capable of creating death. The severity of these elements pulls me to create bodies of art which often share a bold presences of heavy black and a variety of energetic, imperfect line qualities.
     The tension in the human body also inspires me. Muscle cramps, the sexual subconscious and the passion to create change lives in my own body and is translated in my drawings. The body also influences the size of my art - I enjoying creating tall, “life- sized” pieces. Large size in combination with energetic, imperfect energy allows the process of my art creation to be very physical. My own physical body and psyche are always clear in my art. As opposed to my art on stage, where I put on the identity of other characters, in my art on the page, I unmask and think about who I am physically, socially and subconsciously.
     In my most recent series, although it strays from the usual scale of my art, I continue to think about life, death, innocent, severity and transformation in nature and the human body. I’ve recreated “shed” and “dead” bodies.


No comments:

Post a Comment