Monday, April 6, 2020

Translation/ Abstraction

While collecting the items that I used in this piece was fun, drawing them was a whole other story. I haven’t drawn with graphite in a while, so jumping back into it wasn’t intimidating, but the pressure was on a little bit. Before I developed more of an interest in painting, graphite was the main medium that I used and it’s what I was known for in middle school and high school. So, when it came to drawing this assignment, I didn’t want to be as hyper critical of myself as I was in the past. I wanted to just be able to draw and take my time, and love the process rather than the result. I chose to do an up close drawing of my collection because I never really play with scale, so I felt that doing so in this project would introduce me to something new. I took my collection and arranged them in different ways, took pictures of them, decided which one that I like the most, and then started drawing it.
Sydney Croskery was one of the artists who’s methodology that I used when approaching this project. She draws papery objects as well, which is similar to the tags that I drew, and her process looks relatively simple. I appreciate how she didn’t take a hyper realistic approach to drawing her objects, but was still able to make it look accurate and interesting. I also appreciate her attention to detail in terms of the little folds in papers or the really light shadows that they cast. Robert Longo is an artist who I use inspiration for all the time. I think I first saw his work in SFMOMA when I was 16, and I’ve admired his work ever since. I adore the range of colors that he’s able to achieve in his drawings, as well as the deep blacks that look like paint rather than graphite. Anytime I look for inspiration or motivation for my work, I look at his.

No comments:

Post a Comment