Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Mixed Media Project



          Typically when it comes to collage I never know where to go with the idea even when I have a concept, especially when having to incorporate print making. For whatever reason, this style of mark making doesn't click in my head. This time around, I just decided to find as many magazines as I could and see where my mind would go. Due to this I decided to mainly focus my efforts on the collage aspect of the project.
          Centering my concept around dreams and the unconscious, and I used images as representations for the multiple levels of the unconscious. An, objective stance on the topic, I know, but the basis of the varying understandings of what can be considered the unconscious is pretty broad. I broke the series up into segments in relation to what I deem to be the most intriguing entrances into the un/subconscious mind such as the use of psychoactive drugs, or the many traits of dreams like seeing faces of people you barely recognize, or the sensation of flying.
          I got my inspiration for the arrangement of my collage by the artists Martha Rosler and John Stezaker for their usage of correlation in images. Rosler is known for her commentary on social life and has often been an activist for women's rights. She is highly regarded for her work commenting on the Vietnam War. Her work inspired my collaging style, but her usage of representing elements of contemporary spaces with contrasting images that dictate the viewers feeling for the images themselves. 
         John Stezaker was the more for the motivation for the concept. He uses landscape to dictate form. This use of imagery made me think of another unconscious process that people experience when looking at clouds or shadows, or say, a cheeto. 
         This is at least my process that I had to go through in order to work with collage and print making, I feel that my inspiration has very little correlation to the overall theme of my series, but I believe it has elements that were inspired by these two artists. 


John Stezaker Examples:




Martha Rosler Examples:



Examples from my series:






No comments:

Post a Comment