Monday, April 27, 2020

Symbolic Self - Olivia Collins

Olivia Collins
Cindy Rehm
Advanced Drawing
April 27, 2020
Symbolic Self

My symbolic self portrait is a series of three. Something I find symbolic in my life is what I wear. I wanted my portraits to be full body but very simple. I was most inspired by fashion sketches however I did not want myself in any particular poses. I wanted to showcase how with different clothes I take on a new persona. My first piece I wanted to focus on what I look like at home while I work. This is a version of myself that not many see. I spend most time working in my older brother’s big hoodie and glasses. These are two crucial items that I wear almost daily but no one would know. My second piece is to emphasize my collection of band tee shirts. Similar to when talking about the collection project, I have many band tee shirts that are very important to me. I decided to have myself wearing my dad’s My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult shirt from 30 years ago which is my personal favorite. My most worn shoes are over the knee boots so I am seen with this in the painting. I wanted to show how I often wear my family’s clothes and how they are representative of me. My last piece was to showcase my love of dresses. I own several all black dresses and different dresses in general so this is another aspect of what I look like that still represents me. I needed one of the portraits to also showcase my long straight hair, since it is hidden in the first and in a ponytail in the second. It was important to me to not have my face in any of the pieces because I wanted the clothes alone to represent me as a whole. I also predominantly wear black so I wanted the series to portray that.





Inspiration: 
   
Jean-Paul Gaultier                              Tom Ford 

No comments:

Post a Comment