Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Translation/Abstraction Project

My collection project was a grouping of small polaroid images that reflected small flashes of my daily life. With this translation project, I wanted to capture a similar idea. I liked how the varied images all were contained in such a small format and attempted to use not only the same size images in this project, but also the actual objects themselves as mark-making materials. I took 9 of the photos and traced them next to each other into a shape with the same dimensions of one of the photos, only on a much larger scale. I then measured out the white space in one of the small photos and added this inside the drawn rectangles. As far as the actual drawing, I wanted to do an abstraction of one of the photos that I took for the original collection assignment. I chose an image I had taken from my collection of the inside of my refrigerator. I sketched this as a zoomed in (but not to the extent of abstraction) version. I then cut the image into 9 smaller pieces that all fit to the smaller squares within the traced polaroids. I glued the pieces onto the drawn frames in an entirely jumbled format. While it was originally a visually logical photo, I moved all of the pieces around to not make sense together. Some of the images are familiar and contain recognizable elements but put together, the original idea is not clear. This is reminiscent of my original project in the sense that all of the photos contain the same theme, but entirely different subjects. Here is my process and the final result:













A few artists that inspired this piece are Adam Lister and Cy Twombly. Adam Lister creates mostly watercolor paintings that are in a pixelated style. This was part of my inspiration because my original idea for this piece was to pixelate an image. After trial and error, this transitioned into the final outcome of simply jumbling the pieces that were cut into small (somewhat stylistically pixelated) squares. Here are a few of his works:


Vermeer’s The Concert by Adam Lister

adam lister, Introducing Adam Lister


Cy Twombly is mostly known for his paintings, but what I discovered through research were his polaroids. He photographed mostly nature and a large majority of these pictures are very close up and abstracted. I love these vintage photos and assisted me in trying to find abstracted polaroids for inspiration. Here are a few of his photos that I liked:

Cy Twombly


Cy Twombly's Celestial Photographs -   Picasso.

No comments:

Post a Comment