Monday, April 27, 2020

Symbolic Self - Zane




I've always had issues with representing myself in any artistic medium, and I rarely even show my own face in a photo on social media. This is extreme to the point where all of my profile images on any platform is at most an outline of my features. Typically when I draw people I exaggerate features, change their skin color, add objects onto their head or face, that may say may more about them, or just completely abstracts their image. This is partly because it interests me, it teaches me more about oddly shaped forms, and I don't like drawing face or normal things. When approaching this assignment, I definitely wanted to use symbols and alternative imagery to suggest what my interests are. I also wanted to use the techniques and style to describe who I am. In my portrait, I mainly utilized the artwork from two different album artworks; one being from Van Halen's, "Dive Down" and Pink Floyd's, "The Division Bell".

The graphic style that I used is also indicative of how I am attempting to represent myself. I've been developing a more, graphic, graffiti-esq, style that I creates a more pleasing image when combined with elements that display precision, such as using a border, or having dynamic, sharp lines that indicate pre-planning. I have an OCD personality type and I like to be in control of the worlds I create in my art work. I was trying to treat this project as not only a representation of myself, but a representation of myself through process and the final product. I hope this all makes sense.

Here is my artwork. I really like planning what I make to work on the medium that I'm working on. The 18x24" paper made me think of making a poster, and I believe that my graphic style really lends itself to this medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment