Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Mixed Media

For the collage aspect of my series, I took inspiration from Martha Rosler’s work. Rosler’s collages are
relatively simple, but nevertheless impactful. She collages by placing human figures from various
photographs in completely different settings, using combining images of war with modern day luxury.
She is able to effectively communicate her own message while also creating visually dynamic works.

In my own interpretation of this technique, I decided to impose figures from classical paintings onto
photographs by one of my favorite photographers, Todd Hido. Hido often photographs drab interiors
that would by no means ever be considered beautiful. His minimalistic photographs have clean lines
and strong color palettes, and could not be more tonally different from the opulent detail of classical
paintings. Despite this inherent juxtaposition, I sifted through hundreds of source images to find subjects
from classical paintings that would fit into the world of Hido’s photographs, because it was important that
my collages look visually cohesive. When searching through paintings, I wanted to make sure the
subject would match the color pallet of the corresponding photograph, as well as be able to plausibly
be placed into the setting (whether that meant sitting on a bed or hanging from the ceiling). So although
the final collages look rather understated, the process of finding and choosing source material was
incredibly labor-intensive. 
                                    
For the printmaking aspect of my series, I was inspired by examples included in the powerpoint but an
unnamed artist. I specifically drew inspiration from the hypnotizing geometric patterns.


I had a vision of using similar pattern work to create “frames” for my collages, which would reference
their classical art components. From the start, I knew my printmaking skills were not nearly as advanced
as the example artist’s, so I experimented a lot with different techniques in order to achieve consistent
and precise patterns. I was able to achieve my desired result by cutting up stencil patterns, placing them
on the inkboard, inking over them, and then lifting them off the board before then printing onto my paper.
I decided to use metallic ink for my “frames” in order to give them more of an antique look. 
For the display of my collection, I decided to arrange the works very close together in order to
recreate the feel of a 19th-century salon wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment