Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Translation and Abstraction

Olivia Collins 
Cindy Rehm 
April 8, 2020
Translation Abstraction 
The process for my piece was to enlarge the pieces from my collection. My collection consisted of many tickets from the past several years. Each ticket is relatively very small so the most effective way to make a new piece from them is to enlarge them. The actual collection featured more than 40 individual tickets so for the drawing I chose a handful to magnify. The enlarging process was tedious since the tickets are full of text. I first started with a one big sketch of how many tickets I wanted in the piece and used this as a reference. I used a variety of pens to do all the text and then lastly finished the piece in watercolor. Although there were a majority of tickets that were just black and white, I wanted to utilize color to exaggerate the tickets more.
I was inspired by artists who rely on zooming in to their subjects or objects to create a more abstract representation. From the lecture, I looked at Sydney Croskery’s work. Her work was helpful to reference because she had similar subject matter as me with drawing tickets and other simple everyday objects. Her composition is always interesting with how the objects are placed and sometimes overlap. 
Another artist I looked at was Domenico Gnoli. His body of work is all about extreme closeups of objects. His pieces will only contain one object instead of a variety like Croskery's work. He makes detailed paintings that rely on the shine from the object of different strands of hair.


My collection



My drawing


   
Sydney Croskery


   
Domenico Gnoli

No comments:

Post a Comment