Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Translation and Abstraction Project.

Translation and Abstraction Final Drawing
12x9 in.

The Process

For my drawing I chose to use India ink, Sharpie, and charcoal pencil. I began my project by mixing different colors of India ink with water, and poured it out of a pitcher onto linen finished canvas. The ending result of this step looked like this:


Next, I traced three objects from my collection with pencil, and outlined them with black Sharpie afterwards. 
The three objects I chose

After outlining the patterns with Sharpie, I realized that I wanted to add more value and depth, so went over the Sharpie with a charcoal pencil and began blending into the background pattern. 


I liked how the added depth and value emphasized more texture to the paper as well, but still wanted to add more dimension to the piece. I added more lines to emphasize the natural lines found in many of the rocks in the collection, specifically the blue geode I traced. Then, I went back with a moldable eraser and went in between the lines to erase the charcoal fallout, and bring out the vibrant colors of the background. The final drawing (12x9 in.) looked like this:


Artist Inspiration

I drew inspiration from two artists, Amely Spoetzl and Carl Krull. Amy Spoetzl is a Germany-based artist who takes inspiration from primarily nature elements, and incorporates them into her drawings and photography. I liked the intricate and repetitive design that appeared in two or her pieces below, and how she emphasized lines and value through simple patterns that were repeated over and over again. (1) https://tbrnews.com/entertainment/arts/esmoa-opens-new-exhibit-plants-oct-24-in-el-segundo/article_e7caa8f6-f527-11e9-bad4-13f82c376e13.html



Carl Krull is a Danish-artist who's primary focus is sculptural drawing, printmaking, and digital media. I drew inspiration from Carl Krull because of his use of lines in his drawings. Even though he didn't incorporate much shading into his pieces, the lines themselves add depth and dimension to the drawings. I specifically liked these two pieces because of the intricate and repetitive use of lines to emphasize the shape of an object. (1) https://carlkrull.dk/







No comments:

Post a Comment