Monday, April 22, 2019

Mail Art Project


For the mail art project I wanted to create pieces that wouldn’t be safe from the various elements of transportation. Thus, I decided to draw upon paper of my sketch book, cut out the drawings and glue them upon blank postcards. The idea of my drawings becoming slightly crumpled, smudged and distorted from going through the post office was an important element for me, for it lends more credibility and grounds the pieces within the concept of mail art itself. If one simply puts it within an envelope, without altering the envelope itself, could the same effect be received from simply handing the piece to the recipient? Leaving the postcards up to the will of others was an integral part in my view.
             In terms of subject matter I admittedly did not seek a particular focus or concept to express within the pictorial depictions. I simply took some of my favorite sketches from the past few weeks, transfixing them upon the paper. I sought to leave the underlining pencil sketches intact and not erase them, in turn adding to the sketchbook like quality. In terms of inspirations for other artists I drew upon, character wise I undoubtedly draw heavy inspiration from comic book artist Jamie Hewlett, the creator of Tank Girl as well as the creative mind behind the visual representation for the virtual band Gorillaz. I enjoyed his thick and unapologetic line work as well as the somewhat distorted and grotesque depictions of some of his characters.
             The symbol upon the back of the postcard is one admittedly suspect origin. Where I lived and grew up within San Francisco is known for its “Gutter-Punk” population. A subset of individuals who seek to live on the street not particularly by tough conditions or lack of opportunities, more so to lead a counter-culture and less authoritative existence. Many of them adorn their clothing with either painted symbols or patches, helping express their individuality. A few years back I saw a slightly altered version of the symbol depicted upon the postcard and quickly became enamored by it. For what reason, I cannot say why. I researched to find if there was an origin of its source, band-related, sports-oriented or gang-related. I was unable to find a close match, other than a similarity with the logo for the Oakland's A’s baseball them. Nonetheless, I found it to be a worthwhile representation of the city I was birthed, grew up in and will hopefully live in.



Image result for gorillaz

Image result for gorillaz

Image result for gutter punk sf
SF Gutter Punk




No comments:

Post a Comment