Sunday, April 7, 2019

Alter Ego Project

Sammy Keane
“Lexapro”


For this project, I chose to write about my personal process with starting the anxiety medication Lexapro.
As I was thinking about the different ways to demonstrate my alter ego, I came to realize my feelings and
actions towards this medication. I am in the beginning stages of taking these meds so I chose to write down
my emotions towards them for the past three days. “Lexapro” is created on a 24x36 sheet of pale yellow
Canson paper created with pen and charcoal. My decision to make the words rather scattered was to mimic
how my scattered brain when I am on the medication. The words are not only written in a dispersed way but
the sentences themselves are mixed up throughout the piece. This was a way for me to continue to hide
behind this side of me while only showing bits and pieces of what I am going through. In addition to that,
I chose to draw a self-portrait in a rather abstract and rough style to show me looking almost crazy or lost.
The self-portrait is from my hips up and is drawn to depict a combination of myself and a deranged person.

When I was writing out the words I was looking at works from artists such as Barabra Kruger, Jenny
Holzer, and Pierre Emmanuel Godet. I was noticing the ways these famous artists successfully incorporated
texts into their works without it being distracting or too kitschy and instead was meaningful. Specifically,
I was looking at Pierre Godet’s text work and single line work. I was interested in the way his single line
works were different yet exciting.  






Prior to drawing the self-portrait aspect of this piece I was looking at charcoal drawings done by
Frank Auerbach. I am very interested in the way he depicts his portraits in an emotional, active, and
intriguing way. I wanted to create my self-portrait in this moving and gestural way. Tate.org mentions that
Auerbach does not visualize a picture before it begins. This is something that I have been working
towards in my own creative process.




















Sources of influence:




No comments:

Post a Comment