Monday, April 22, 2019

Destruction Project

Sammy Keane
18 April 2018


“Her”
For this project, I added paint and string to a life drawing that we had completed in class. The drawing
itself was done with pencil and watercolor on watercolor paper in subdued tones. At first, I was going
to destruct and alter two pieces of my work but once I began, I decided to focus on one more than the
other. My first thought was to have one of my works being right up and the other upside down. I was
going to stand on one side and do the same actions to both and notice the difference it would make for
the different drawings. I started with watered-down colored ink and began splatter painting the works
without looking. I was simply looking at the ink going onto my brush instead of what was happening on
the paper itself. Once I was finished with the ink, I noticed the blue paper was not holding the ink as well
as the watercolor paper and it was about then that I thought to focus on the white one instead.


After I did the ink splatter, I looked at the works and decided I wanted more vibrant and thinker colors
to be splattered across the life drawings. I chose colors such as pink, yellow, orange, and green to throw
on these works. Unlike the ink, I decided to keep these paints their natural consistency to provide the

most vibrant pigment and abstract outcome possible.

Lastly, I did not think the splatter work was enough so I decided to begin to sew 4” by 1” lines across
the white piece. There was really no thought in my mind prior to doing this except for the fact that I
have always wanted to incorporate string or yarn into my work and I thought that this would be a great
time to do so.
On the bottom left you can see the first count of string that I used on this piece. I ended up doing about
8 others using vertical and horizontal lines to add to the destruction of the prior piece. I found this project
to be very fun as it forced to work outside of my comfort zone and add aspects to a work that I had
before told myself was finished. Honestly, I like this new and fun version much better than the previous
plain ole life drawing.


For inspiration to the destruction of this work, I was looking at artists such as Jackson Pollock and Nike
Savvas. Jackson Pollock has great movement in his splatter works and I was trying to get that same
action in mine. Whereas Nike Savvas is very talented with string and color and I wanted to incorporate
both of those aspects into my piece.




No comments:

Post a Comment