Monday, April 22, 2019

Mail Art

Mail Art

I had a lot of different idea for what I could do for this project so it was tough to pick just one out of all of them. The one thing I did know is that I wanted to incorperate one really important part of my life, which is costuming. When I'm working on something, it takes up basically all of my free time and I love every minute of it. So because of that I wanted to find a way to bring that into my project, I thought about using fabric again but couldnt figure out a way to do that in a mail format. So I went with using thread on paper and thenn on the paper almost using a pop up book like format to create some sort of tutorial for each of my costumes. I felt like sending a record of this process to everyone would be a very interesting way of recording what I do in my spare time and how I get to the end result of my costume. So in a way it is a documentaition of existence since so much time goes into each one of these steps, every step I personally have completed, mostly in the order that I listed. While also putting it in a format showing that other people can do it too, and here's how, literally. Another aspect of these cards is that I wanted to still make it seem very personal to how I write and how I doodle almost as if you are getting a page out of my planning books where I lay out everything I need to do for one costume. So I added little doodles of a stylized version of myself doing certain steps to some of the cards and little diagrams of what would need to be done for each piece. While also adding a border of thread bringing in some of the actual materials I use for these projects

Since I decided what to do I needed to gather a lot of old information on how I made each costume since I wanted to send a tutorial for a different costume to everyone in the class. So I would need to reach pretty far back in my costuming journey to get information, so some of it is very different to how I would do it now which greatly annoyed me while I was doing this. While through my time of making costumes I have made about 32 different costumes, only around 10 of them were 100% made from scratch while thee rest have varing degrees of how much of them I made. Like for some I would make most of the outfit and buy the assesories, and for others I would just buy a bunch of different pieces and put them together to make a costume. So for some of these tutorials I would just go in and focus on which pieces I did make in detail, like for one of them I made a wig from scratch and that's what I focused on and another was a very makeup based costume so I focused on that. 

When it comes to inspiration I really liked On Kawara's "I Got Up" series and I think that had an impact on this project in a lot of ways. My pieces are still a documentation of existence in a way but definitly more tailored to my life and my personality. I was also thinking about this project in the way that not many artists actually show exactly how they create they art expecially not exactly how to make it yourself at home but that is what I decided to do here. I was also inspired by competing in a costuming competition recently where I needed to make a booklet describing how I made every part of my costume, which ended up being 18 pages long so I though it would be intersting to approce this project from the same mindset. There is obvioulsy more inspiration withing the context of each of the costumes since i base about 80% of them off of pre-existing source materials, that I can list here. Since I made 11 of them theres a lot of characters here

  1. Sylvanas Windrunner - World of Warcraft (Video Game)
  2. Eva Beatrice - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni (Very obscure anime)
  3. Pink Diamond - Steven Universe (American Cartoon)
  4. Rose Quartz - Steven Universe (American Cartoon)
  5. Homura Akemi - Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Anime)
  6. Mary - Ib (Obsure RPG horror game from ~10 years ago)
  7. Doki Doki Literature Club Uniform - I gave a tutorial for the uniform since it can be used for all 4 the characters in the game Doki Doki Literature Club
  8. Anastasia - Anastasia (Animated Movie)
  9. Female Hades  - Original Design but based on Disney's Hercules
  10. Bo-Peep - Toy Story (Animated Movie)
  11. Light of Creation - Original design by me, but I based it off of a concept from The Adventure Zone (Podcast)
    The I Got Up Series By On Kawara











All of my cards with the refrence pull tab pulled out

No comments:

Post a Comment