Sunday, April 21, 2019

Destroyed Project


For the destroy art project I wanted to take an approach of adding to a piece as opposed to completely destroying. The base piece that I started with was the figure drawing from the first model. I liked the shape of the body and I thought that I would be able to add elements that were interesting to look at and ones that would add depth to the starting piece. I began by adding color to the base piece. I used different shades of blue marker to outline and shade the body. I choose to use a pink coral colored marker to outline the shape and texture of the hair as a contrast to the blue that I used to shade the body. After I used the marker to shade the original drawing, I cut out wave-like shapes of using textured paper. I layered the paper on top of the drawing at the bottom of the page. Once I finished that I found this printed blue and white paper that I wanted to somehow include in the new reconstructed piece. Since the paper had circles on it I wanted to mimic that shape and cut out three different sizes of circles and layer them on top of the elements that were already present on the drawing. I started with the larger circles at the bottom and gradually went up the page to smaller circles near the top of the page. I decided to add a bit of watercolor pencil to one side of the cut out circles. I used a dark blue to add depth to the cutouts. I thought that it might b interesting if I added an older drawing to the new piece so I ripped a piece from the charcoal drawings that we did earlier in the semester and layered them at the top of the drawing to offset the cutout paper that I added to the bottom of the page. To add more to the drawing, I also choose to use the same colored markers to draw connecting lines out from the marker colored parts of the body.  For my research, I looked at two different artists and their work destroying their art. The first one was Banksy’s Girl With a Balloon which was sold at auction in 2018 for $1.4 million right after it was sold, however, the piece began to destroy itself. A shredder was built into the frame with the intention that one day it would shred itself. Ironically enough it was resold for an even higher amount after half of the painting was shredded through the frame. The second art piece that I looked at was by John Baldessari in which he burned down several of his early paintings and used the char to bake cookies. Both of these have such different concepts, but I used them as inspiration to not necessarily destroy but recreate the artwork into something new and interesting. For my piece, I added different elements to it rather than taking it apart to create something new.

















No comments:

Post a Comment