Monday, April 22, 2019

Mail Art

Sammy Keane
“Did you get it?”


For this project, I chose to create a pen and watercolor 4” by 4” design. On the back of each design, I
hand wrote a mindfulness quote that I either found online and credited or ones that I came up with
myself. I used watercolor and pen to create these abstract intricate drawings. While I was creating them,
I was thinking about the ways watercolor pencils mix with one another once water is added. The abstract
designs that were forming created a colorful and beautiful pattern. While I was drawing with a pen, I
was ultimately separating the areas of mixed colors. Because each watercolor pattern ended up being
different, the ink aspects also varied. Before creating these little cards I was unsure of what the meaning
would be behind them but as I was creating them, I noticed how the doodling calmed me down. Because
of this, I decided to add little mindfulness quotes on the back. These quotes are saying that have helped
me calm down when have been anxious or they have even just reminded me of the importance of staying
grounded, not only in my artwork but in life. Creating these drawings was a very therapeutic process for
me as it forced my eye to follow the outlines of the colors still present. The idea of sending these little
artworks to members of our class was very exciting to me. I love the idea of these works being personal
to them and only them.
Before deciding what I was going to do for this mail art project, I continued to learn about Ray Johnson
and how he pioneered this act of mail art. I loved learning about these ways of interacting with people
through his art. Because of him, I decided to add my little bits of text on the back in relation to the color.
Even though his works look much different than mine, his use of collage and different mediums was
very inspiring to me.






When I was creating the watercolor designs for these pieces, I was looking on artsy.net for different
abstract watercolor pieces and alternative ways artists have used watercolor in their works. I came across
an artist named Karen Margolis and am now in love with her work. She uses watercolor, gouache, map
fragments, and thread on Abaca paper to create these beautiful abstract works. (shown below).


Overall, I found this project to be not only fun but also a very different approach to creating art. The idea
of your work is simply given to someone in particular and not shown to anyone else is something that I
am very interested in and will possibly be implementing into my own work outside of the classroom.


Links for inspiration



No comments:

Post a Comment