Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Self Generated Subject

            For this project, the first idea that came to mind was bringing objects to life by giving them body parts. I thought of personifying food which probably stemmed from the fact that I am vegan. I’ve heard the jokes about fruit and vegetables being alive before I “murdered” them to eat them and how killing plants is the same as killing animals for food. I wanted to illustrate this joke in a playful way. I began researching surrealist pieces involving bringing fruit to life and found the pieces below. The first image shows what I thought I wanted my fruits to look like with eyes and mouths drawn onto them. Then, I thought of making them features out of paper clay, which is why I looked at the second image, which is a paper clay cat. The next three images were interesting to me because they illustrate fruits as human by giving them bones, drawing a fetus inside, and literally constructing a human face out of produce. The last five images show fruit as animals. The image showing the radish cut up inspired me the most to make my produce look “dead.”
At the same time that I started thinking about this project, I ate some really good berries from the restaurant that I work in and had been craving them. But, you can only buy berries in plastic clamshell containers if you shop at a grocery store. The only place I could find berries in cardboard containers is a farmer’s market, which I am never able to go to because of school and work. I thought of ways to incorporate my frustration into my piece by adding plastic to the image and bringing it to life in as “the villain.” Instead of buying plastic, which I do not want to support, I used the plastic bags that my roommates use when grocery shopping. I refuse to use plastic produce bags, and do not want to support the purchase of products that come packaged in plastic, so reusing my roommate’s bags seemed like the best way to compose the image while sticking true to my morals. I chose not to use paper clay and instead chose to draw on a printed image of a photo I took while cooking dinner one night. While I was setting up the still life for the picture, I thought of how to show that plastic lasts forever and the produce does not. This is why I chose to include a speech bubble conversation between two heads of broccoli, implying that they would live forever if they lived in plastic. While researching, I came across an article that shows works of art related to plastic pollution and have included the link below. I enjoy creating pieces that “plea” to the viewer to change the way that they live or think to better the environment, and I think that the images shown in the link below accomplish this really well.
I wanted to branch out from my usual choice in media and use color. I wanted to challenge myself to let the piece look imperfect by resisting the urge to draw out the objects before adding color. Instead, I only used water color and allowed the piece to not be perfectly photo-realistic.












No comments:

Post a Comment