Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Alter Ego

For my alter ego project, I was scared and excited. I was scared since I have never worked on such a large piece of paper before. But excited to see how I can challenge and push myself. I wanted to try a more stylistic approach. I have attempted to try simply shadow effect but I think this is my most successful one. The prompt was to draw at least a figure so I wanted to try a more abstract, assemblage approach. At first I didn’t really know where to start. A part of me didn’t want to do twin heads, and three seemed like a perfect number. I drew one head with my hand parting my hair in the back, one with me looking directly and another me pondering looking up. I position the figure to sitting and surrounded the entire form in hair swirls.

I chose to depict my left faces in black tear and splatter on the face to show that I have a dark side. I wanted this face to be more stylistic and not as real as the other two faces. It is more long and almost corpse like. I also thought about how I love murder crime genres and how it reminds me how I have always thought about adding dripping eyeliner on my face. For the right, I wanted to make it the most realistic render of myself. I have it looking up to show me thinking and thinking about my “other personas”. The middle face is a combination of the two. It is realistic but stylistic and even I added a personal touch through adding details and stars in the eye. I wanted to depict a sitting form because I spend most of my time sitting down.

I decided to do sharpie line work with watercolor because it has been so long since I have used watercolor. I wanted to try different weights and line to give it a more dimensional effect.

Sara Blake aka ZSO is an illustrator, designer, and fine artist living in New York City. When I first came across Sara’s work I was blown away. She’s a very traditional artist using pencils and paper for all her art which she finishes up in Photoshop. I used her black and hair waves to incorporate and inspire my piece. I originally wanted to merge my faces into one figure but then I decided to add 3 faces separately. www.hellozso.com
    

I also looked at Anna Tsvell. She has a style that I really love and that was my inspiration for this piece. I used her line work as a base however limited the lines since there was too much going on. I line her use of minimal color in the first image and love how bright and color in the background. I didn't do much research on her pieces except for these 3 photos that really stood out to me. But if you guys are interested, here her website and Instagram.
https://www.saatchiart.com/annatsvell



I was also looking at Crystal Morey, a ceramic sculptor living in Oakland, California. I was looking at her sculptors since I had the idea of maybe depicting a human and animal figure. I ended up using her form to inspire my hand gesture and sitting position. It was really funny since I was playing with different hand gesture to try to get the proper one to fit my piece.
 https://www.crystalmorey.com/

 

In terms of what the background would look like, I was inspired with this kind of splatter mixed background.


No comments:

Post a Comment