Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Alter Ego

The hardest part about this project was thinking of my “alter-ego.” The obvious one that came to mind was the difference between what I look like on a “normal” day versus what I look like when I’m trying to look nice. This idea didn’t feel like it had enough thought put into it, so I originally dismissed it. I thought about other possibilities, but eventually came back to my first idea. And, as I sat with the idea longer, I realized that looking different isn’t what defines that version of myself as an “alter-ego.” The way I carry myself differs between my two appearances. I think that I am more care-free and confident when I look nice because I don’t have to worry about people judging what I look like. When I am wearing comfortable clothing and no makeup, I tend to keep to myself because I feel like I don’t fit in and like people are judging me. I wanted to capture this in my drawing by showing my two sides together, one version keeping to herself and the other ready to go have fun. I wanted the two figures to be in the same space, but not necessarily in contact with one another.
While researching artists, I mainly focused on finding pieces where the two figures weren’t connected to one another, but were occupying the same space. The first seven images I have are what I found. The last three images show the two figures touching in some and are included because I liked how you can see the obvious relationship between the two personas that make up one person. I focused on Jeff Wall’s Double Self-Portrait because I liked the way the two figures were placed in the space. Instead of confronting each-other, they are confronting the viewer. I found this choice very interesting and wanted to know more about why the artist chose to do that and why he chose to include himself twice. In the link below, little insight is offered about Wall’s intentions. It describes that a photograph should not be seen as “a window on to the world” and should instead be “a way of constructing and ordering a world.” This concept is interesting to me because it is what artists often do when they draw. For example, the inspiration for the location of my piece is my bedroom, but it is not an exact mirror image of my bedroom so instead of being a window into my room, it is me constructing a new room. Wall’s decision to include himself twice in the image is described as his way of lying to the viewer because he cannot be both the subjects and the photographer at the same time. This article did not describe why Wall chose to stand the way he did or any of his compositional decisions, nor could I find any information about that elsewhere.

Overall, this project was interesting but not my favorite. I don’t like self-portraits, so having to do two was not ideal. Also, in order to fit both figures on the page I had to draw them a little smaller, which I do not like doing because I cannot get the same level of detail that I can on a bigger or more zoomed in piece.











No comments:

Post a Comment