Monday, April 16, 2018

Alter Ego - Ellen Chapman


Alter Ego Project
Ellen Chapman
 
There were many ways I wanted to approach this project. Initially, I was inspired by Frida Kahlo portraits and she illustrated herself accurately but stylized herself differently in each portrait. I knew I wanted to interpret it like that, where I illustrated myself as accurately as I could but changed the way I drew each portrait stylistically to match the different versions of myself that I believe exist. In my first portrait, I chose to do an up close drawing that is based off a photo of myself where I felt extremely happy and at peace. I used a ballpoint pen, ink. Then I decided to add accents of color with pastels. In this I chose to use different hues of blue, yellow, green and black. I chose these colors because for me, blue is my happiest color. It reminds me of the sea, and sunny blue skies which both make me so happy. For the portrait I chose to display adjacent to it, I decided to reference a photo of me in which I felt uncomfortable, cold and reserved. I then chose to make the portrait less carved out with color, shading or detail but to create a hurricane within the drawing (using charcoal).
            Right now, I’m at the happiest point I have ever been in my life. I have joined a sorority, have a great boyfriend, friends, internship and family life is healthy and good. Yet with all this new socializing and growing of relationships I have been falling behind academically as I have been struggling knowing how to balance everything. The drawing with less detail and more obscurity represent that imbalance and struggle with my every day chores and schoolwork. I am happy, but need to learn how to control my life and do practical things as well. So once I’m alone (which is why the background of the piece is black compared to the blue one where it is just my face) illustrates this insolation and overwhelming I feel when I’m alone and away from all the things that make me happy. Overall, I enjoyed this project as it allowed me to search more within myself.  Below are some drawings I referenced.


No comments:

Post a Comment