Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Self-generated project


I started this project by thinking about various things that I could make that would then be interesting to draw. I thought of drawing the food I made, the piles of laundry that seemed to always form in my room, but none of those felt right. Eventually I thought of the only origami I know how to make- a paper crane. This seemed interesting to draw to me because of the crisp folds and lines. So the first thing I did was research drawings and paintings of origami to see what they turned out like. This is the result of that research. 







After this research I had determined that a still life composition would be fun to use. So once I made the paper crane, I crumpled up two other pieces of paper to fill out the page and add some interest to the narrative. This required that I researched both still life compositions, as well as paintings of crumpled paper, which I found out was a very complicated subject matter. I really liked the paintings I found of the paper that were more impressionistic, rather than realistic. I figured that since I was planning on using gouache I could achieve a similar effect, and not spend too many hours trying to recreate a photorealistic image. As for the composition, I found that many still-lifes used a triangle composition, or a two-and-one combination. I took this tip and used it in my own composition.









For the actual work of my project I first folded a paper crane and crumpled two pieces of paper, then photographed them against a black background to use as a reference photo. I used a 16x24 piece of watercolor paper, and started by sketching the basic shapes of the paper crane and the crumpled paper, then filled them in with gouache. I wanted the painting to be more colorful and saturated, so I added greens and blues to the lighter shadows on the paper, and used green, grey and black for the foreground. For the background I figured darker warm colors would be a good contrast to the foreground, and I think it brings out the shadows and dimension of the paper. I didn’t focus too much on being very realistic. I wanted brush strokes and little imperfections to show so that it would look like an artists’ work rather than a photograph.

I did still-lifes quite often when I was younger; they were a good way to practice and I felt very comfortable portraying still objects realistically. It was fun to return to this practice and relearn some of the basics, as I haven’t done one in a long time. I am also enjoying learning to paint with gouache- I have never used it before this class and it is a very fun medium to work with and experiment with. Overall I am happy with how my project turned out, and I enjoyed the process of creating it. 
Here are some links I also used as inspiration: 
This is the story of Sadako and one thousand paper cranes. I learned this story when I first learned about origami in an art class in middle school, and it is a story that has stuck with me through the years. Though it didn't directly inspire this piece, it was on my mind while I was making it. 
Here's a brief watercolor painting of a paper crane, and a second video on a gouache real crane, but helped me with the gouache style and process of the piece. Like I've said before, I find it extremely helpful and motivating to watch videos like these before or during a painting. It helps me focus and keeps me optimistic. 



No comments:

Post a Comment