Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Alter Ego

LakeLyn Bagge
Professor Rehm
Advanced Drawing
11 April 2018


PULL ME

I was a little puzzled when thinking about what my alter ego is. When thinking about my childhood, I remember talking to the spirits of my great-grandparents that passed away when I was young. I had a lot strange encounters with their spirits which really influenced my views on the afterlife and what is to exist after death. I read this article, that I attached below, about communicating with spirits and how to go about ones interactions with them. Even to this day, I am so intrigued about the life occurring after death.

https://www.shamanlinks.net/shaman-info/the-spirit-world/talking-to-spirits/

For this alter ego project, I took many different approaches to combine the elements that best represented my alter ego. I believe my second personality is being able to communicate with spirits. I imagine when I pass on to the other side into heaven, it is this pulling motion that is being pulled from my center of origin in my body. I explored many figurative images jumping in the air so I can have a resource when I am trying to convey my drawing.









Expressionism paintings and drawings also had a great influence on my work. I love how the formation of the body and the strokes creating the body convey emotion. In my work, I have two female bodies done in white colored pencil with some added flesh tones. The figure on the bottom conveys the person I am today. I chose to have the figure touching her hair to signify my relationships with the spirits of my grandmother and grandfather. They continuous touch my hair in the shower to let me know that they are still with me.

The other figure on the top is a woman who is arched and is being pulled upward. This woman signifies my alter ego of being able to release myself to the other side in order to communicate with spirits. I chose to draw on black paper to represent the black hole of the unknown hat connects with my personal alter ego. The white colored pencil, as well as the flesh tones makes the piece feel more airy and whimsical. These particular colors and style of the colored pencil puts that image and emotion of the after life in my head.  

No comments:

Post a Comment