Thursday, May 21, 2020

Translation/Abstraction-Maddy Cartwright

Translation/Abstraction
     For my translation/abstraction piece, I took the photos from my last project and traced the parts of each photo that I enjoyed the most. My process was inspired by automatic drawing, one of my favorite examples of this is by Andre Masson, I wanted to get lost in the process of this piece without caring what the end result would look like. I switched between colors based on the emotions that I felt from the photos and layered them over the top of eachother. I did not have a plan for the composition of this piece, but I enjoyed the disorganized but flowing feel of the end result, similar to Botanical Theater by Paul Klee. I attempted to keep the line quality firm, which was aided by the use of Prismacolor pencils, which give off a strong and consistent color in comparison to many other colored pencils. I struggle with memory recall as a result of my ADHD and it was interesting that despite having no intention for the outcome of this piece, by simply drawing without thinking I was able to create imagery that I feel is similar to what memories feel like in my own head. The scattered drawings represent the tangled mess of memory snippets that I have to mentally dig through in order to retrieve what I'm looking for, and often the surrounding context gets fully lost, as in this photo. 
Automatic Drawing by Andre MassonBotanical Theater by Paul Klee

No comments:

Post a Comment