Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Mail Art - Olivia Collins

Olivia Collins
Cindy Rehm 
Advanced Drawing 
5/6/2020
Mail Art 
For this project I surprisingly had my idea immediately. When the project was first assigned I thought it would be funny to just send everyone photos of my dog. My dog, to my family and friends, is a bit of a joke because in his old age he has just gotten more goofy looking. I also talk about Jarvis more than I would like to admit, he’s an important part of my life as I’m sure many feel similarly about their dogs. I also was thinking about the manifestos we wrote at the beginning of the course and I felt there was a portion of the manifesto I had not addressed in this class yet. I stated that all crafts should be considered an art except I had not made anything that was really considered that. So I decided it was time to create the most absurdly crafty thing I could think of with my dog Jarvis as my muse. My biggest inspiration were Valentine cards that you get as a child but instead of celebrating any holiday it was celebrating Jarvis. I wanted them to look like love letters, but instead of an actual love letter it was just my dog. I also was thinking about the feminist love letters that were mentioned in class, however I wanted mine to not be serious at all. After making all of my Lil Jarvis’, they did not fit into any envelope I bought so I also made the envelopes and just really tried to emphasize the Valentine/love letter inspiration. Although I don't know is my handmade envelopes went through the mailing system that successfully. I ended up making extras to send out to my friends and brother to brighten their days during quarantine with a glitter Jarvis.



                         

No comments:

Post a Comment