Thursday, May 21, 2020

Mail Art-Maddy Cartwright



Mail Art
     When doing the mail art project I was pondering how during quarantine, our only connection to each other has been through electronics which, while its better than nothing, leaves me feeling fairly empty inside in comparison to in-person interaction. I have always struggled with communicating over devices, as my social anxiety leaves me overanalyzing every text or email that I send to the point of not wanting to ever respond to anything. It's not that I don't use my phone, because I am on it 24/7, but when connecting with people that I know in real life, it feels empty and stressful. Learning things about my niche interests digitally, however, is fantastic, I can connect to information from around the world, rent a digital library book, curate my social media feed to have images that fill me with a sense of calm, and remind myself that some of the issues that I'm dealing with are issues that are felt by thousands of other people. In order to express these ideas, I chose to change the color and tone of each image to highlight the dichotomy of social interaction. While it is not emotionally fulfilling, as represented by the missing torso on the figure, at times digital connection can be extremely mind-opening. I thought this would be a good topic to use for the mail art project, as there is a sort of irony in expressing an idea about digital connection through a physical medium. My art style was inspired by Gabrielle Marin and Adam Riches. I found both of these artists on Instagram and they represent how my style has been influenced by the online art community.

No comments:

Post a Comment