Thursday, May 21, 2020

Symbolic Self-Maddy Cartwright

Symbolic Self
For my symbolic self assignment, I wanted to explore how my concept of self has changed over the years. I was inspired by the forms of self-expression in The Ants by Salvador Dali and Indian Dancer by Hannah Hoch, in which the internal self seems to be protruding from the physical form. I chose to make the main figure devoid of recognizable features because I wanted the collage of my past drawings of myself to culminate into one overall idea of self. The figure is shown exhaling this collage and looking to it blankly to represent how the best representation of who you are is not something that you have to work at, but something that comes naturally to you like a breath of fresh air. The best way of connecting with yourself is to let go of all preconceptions of who you are, or who you are supposed to be, and to simply be. 
The Ants by Salvador Dali Indian Dancer by Hannah Hoch

No comments:

Post a Comment