Friday, May 10, 2019

Collage



I had somewhat of an idea of what I wanted to do for the collage project about a week before it was assigned. My roommate and I always get a lot of advertisements in the mail. I thought about how they were always recycled and almost never used. I decided to take them in and see if I could use them for a project. That's when I had the idea to do a project on the value of something since throughout the pages was sales upon sales, posting the value of what they were selling.


Collages are a great way to express opinion and thoughts about society. I decided to tackle the subject that is women and how they are valued by others and how they value themselves. While working on this I considered cutting off the heads of the women, however I felt like I was objectifying them enough, by covering all their garments to make them look naked, and it did not feel right to deface them all but did deface some to draw your attention to how women sometimes focus too much on their bodies and how sometimes society only views, and values, women's bodies and not who they are as people.

I made it a point to find a diverse group of women. Women of different body types. Women of different races. It is a problem that effects all women. I especially wanted to include a plus size model for the piece "You Could Raise Your Prices!" because "plus size" women tend to undervalue themselves. 

Additionally, it felt weird to decide what price to put on different women. Who gets to be worth $158 and who gets to be worth $1.99. I purposefully included a wide range of prices to show how varied women value themselves and how society values them.

I found the phrase "69c Sale" in the ads and decided that I wanted to each piece in the collection have a "slogan". "How do you value yourself?", "Don't sell yourself short!", How much do women cost?", "You could raise your prices!" Instead of these being magazine or ad cutouts, they are more like my own personal questions or statements to the audience.

I'm really proud of this piece and made to understand collage in a different light. Our collage work in class and this project has converted me into a collage lover.

However it is extremely messy and cutting is very time consuming.













No comments:

Post a Comment