Monday, May 13, 2019

Artist Statement and Bio

Artist Statement:

This piece is made to depict the alter ego esque type ways that I act in different social situations, I have five different pieces in this series each to represent different aspects of my life. One of the pieces shows the somewhat quiet persona that I show in class with myself sitting in class in a very calm position. The next one shows how I act with my friends which might be one of the funniest images I have ever drawn. I based that piece off of an image that my friends and I took at thanksgiving this year which is one of the few times a year that all of us are able to see each other. Its a really funny picture that really summarizes how we all act around each other. When I am with my friends I act much more lively and upbeat with a lot more joking aroung completely different from how I act in class which is very quiet and subdued. Sometimes when people see me out of class they are sometimes surprised that I am not always so quiet.

The next piece shows how I act on TikTok in cosplay which is a completly different persona from how I am in real life. For all my fans I am a very sweet and nice person with a lot of very cutesy costumes with the occasional horror costume. When I am online I act much more pg than I do in real life so I tried to show the backgrounf behind the persona that I show on TikTok for my audience. When I am filming it is really just me alone in my room in a silly costume but while I'm filming I am always aware that there are going to be thousands of eyes on me once I post what I am filming which is what makes me act differently. I tried to draw in some floating eyes around my phone to show this looming anxiety alond with showing all of the props I use and the things around my room.

The next piece is a little bit more somber and shows how I act arount my parents. While the rest of the pieces are really tame, this peice was really personal to me since I dont really talk about my parents that much. They are still a big part of my life but I have to become a completely different person when I am around them to keep them happy. I think that this experience is what has made me aware of these different personas that I put up in the pressence of other people, I almost dont recognize myself when I am around my parents. I have to become this sweet quiet little Christain girl because that is who they have raised me to be when in reality thats not at all who I am anymore but I live in a household where I cant show them that without consequences so I have to put up a front.

The last piece that I did is by far my favorite and shows the true me, or the me that I am when I am all by myself and doing what I love. I love creating things so you can see how I look when I am creating things like costume pieces. So you can see all of my tools and paints around me with some snacks and my computer. I also put in a couple of other costume pieces that I have also made to show more of what I do, along with a wig that goes with a different costume I just recently styled. I also added in music in the background that I often have playing, or I'll be watching tv while I work so I put the lyrics to an anime opening I have been watching recently to show that aspect of what I do in my spare time. So this one piece is meant to show the real me or just me when I am happiest, alone, creating art, and watching tv.

 In my life I have found that I put up a lot a personas or alter egos, be it literally with the costumes I create of more metaphorically with the way I act around others. It is something that I have noticed and found really interesting so I thought I would try and bring this idea into my work


Bio:
Alyssa Tucker was born in Arizona and grew up in Northern California. She has been doing art since she was a little kid and has explored a variety of different mediums throughout her life. She is currently persuing her BFA in Art at Chapman University and is set to graduate in 2021. One aspect of her life that impacts a lot of her work is her intrest in costuming. She has been costuming since she was 15 years old and is always working to get better in every aspect of her practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment