Monday, May 13, 2019

Artist Statement
            The concept for this series developed from my struggle and frustration of being a student with ADD. Throughout my whole life I have found it extremely difficult to communicate to others what this struggle feels like because words often fall short. Using acrylic paint on 18x24 wood sheets this most recent series gives a visual explanation of the very personal reality that I have faced. The feeling of being under water as I try to focus in class, the overwhelming feeling when I need to be productive and my brain shuts down, feeling as if time is the enemy because trying to focus takes up most of it; These feelings are constant and the only way to keep them from consuming me is by channeling them into art.
            The process of creating these pieces required me to channel all my built up feelings of inadequacy and failures as a student and sit with and sort through them. I let my frustrations control the marks that I made, while also staying true to my need for control. Through this series I highlight the innerworkings of my mine, the parts I prefer to keep hidden.
  Bio

            Noelle Hubbard was born in Newport Beach, California. Her struggles with ADD and her study of psychology have influenced all aspects of her art. She currently attends Chapman University where she is working to get her B.A. in psychology. The majority of her work uses watercolor, however she experiments with many other mediums as well. Her work has been exhibited by the Newport Mesa District and Newport Harbor High School. Some of her works can be seen on her Instagram (@noleshub).  

No comments:

Post a Comment