Sunday, May 12, 2019

Artist Statement Final Series


         





I began by creating hand drawn stencils to use to make a pattern on the paper. The five stencils each were drawn to be the stages of a butterfly metamorphosis beginning first with the caterpillar, then the cocoon, escape, first movements, to eventually an adult monarch butterfly. I choose to use the monarch butterfly because it is believed in many cultures that they represent the cycle of life and are related to the human soul. For the main medium of the pieces I choose watercolor because of its fluidity and lightness that complements what the butterflies stand for in the representation of myself. Over top of each of the watercolor patterns if a self-portrait of myself drawn with yarn and string, used to symbolize the malleability of life in general. Although, sections of the yard disappear within the paintings, the texture is still there, you are able to feel the lines emerging from the paper. Some parts of these self-portraits might be hidden by the black, but the hidden lines even more so symbolized the parts of myself that are not always visible, but still present. Each of the paintings have a different self-portrait on top, beginning with me facing to the left and slowly moving toward facing the front. Just like the changes of the monarch butterfly, I am also changing with it. Gaining knowledge and wisdom as I continue to grow and change with the butterfly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment