Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Collection Project


Niki Ravari
ART 318

When I was younger, there were a few different objects I would collect. While most of these collections were of invaluable items, one collection I had for several years of my childhood had great significance to me. This collection consisted of a variety of stuffed animals called Webkinz. These were stuffed animals that came with a code which allowed you to log in online and see digitized versions of each stuffed animal. My collection was displayed on three long rows of shelves and consisted of around twenty Webkinz.


This childhood collection was what prompted my idea for this project, leading me to the decision to collect teddy bears. When attaining this collection, there was one general rule that I kept in mind: the teddy bears must have been previously owned. It was important to me to acquire used teddy bears because I felt that they emanate their history, and more so, the mystery of the stories behind the objects. I was able to find most of my collection at various yard sales throughout Orange. This turned out being the most enjoyable way of collecting them because it gave me a bit of insight on where the objects have been. In addition, I picked up a few teddy bears from second hand stores as well as from friends who were ready to let go of their childhood friends.


For critique, I will present my collection by pinning the teddy bears to the wall in a way that portrays the idea that they were no longer existing for their initial purposes. They will be dispersed on the wall in a disorganized manner which will emphasize a lack of attention during the installation process reflecting the idea of abandonment that these objects have experienced.








No comments:

Post a Comment