Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Collection Project

My past experiences with collecting mostly revolve around Madam Alexander dolls.  From the ages of 9 to around 13 my grandmother and I would hunt down as many as we could find to add to my collection. I kept them in shelves and desks in my room and I was very excited about always finding new ones. We searched for them in places like toy shops, online websites, and resellers that offered unique and out of commission dolls.

The process I used to develop this collection was somewhat daily. I took pictures of things that are comfortable and familiar and that I use or see on a daily basis. At first, my goal was to simply create a collection of images that represented my average day but as I amassed it, it became slightly different. The collection started to appear to be a look into my life and I was able to see the things I usually see through a different lens. I now feel as though the images I took and gathered are almost a sort of personal and out of the norm experience for me. While I am an extrovert and very social, I am very personal about my own living space and solitary time. Displaying images of things that I experience or use by myself is out of my comfort zone for sure!

I choose these pieces because I feel like they best represent the less exciting portions of my life. Additionally, they are vaguely familiar to everyone while being unique to me. Most people use or are familiar with the things depicted in these images but my toothbrush for instance is unique to me and no one else owns it.

I will arrange my collection scattered on a wall. I don't want to put it in a line order because I don't want to misrepresent the collection as a daily process that contains a specific order. I will group them together in a random assignment.










No comments:

Post a Comment