Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Collection Project - Olivia Collins

Olivia Collins 
Cindy Rehm 
Advanced Drawing 
March 11, 2020
Collection Project 
I have always been collecting various things throughout my child. If there was a certain brand I liked I wanted to try to keep many items of that particular thing, such as Hello Kitty, Harajuku Girls, and Betsey Johnson. I was definitely drawn to very “girly” things when collecting and lots of kitsch. As I have grown older the idea of collecting is something that is still important to me. My dad has been a collector for my entire life, I was always surrounded by his collections of thousands of books, CDs, vinyls and magazines. I have a lot of sentimental value and nostalgia in many of the things I collect. I keep movie theater tickets, going to the cinema is the best pastime in my hometown so keeping the tickets has always been a good way to remember where I was on certain days. Going to concerts and gigs is another thing that has always been very important to me so I collect band shirts. My collections mainly consist of keepsakes from a particular experience which is why they will always remain so special. 
My collection for class is a combination of tickets of events I have been to since 2016. About half of this collection is movie theater tickets and the other half is tickets to museums and other cultural institutions when I lived abroad in France. There are other types of tickets mixed in such as concert tickets, very few of the shows I have been to have given a physical ticket, since everything is digital, but when they have I have kept them. I am interested in displaying them on the white wall salon style to show the difference in the actual tickets but also to show something that many disregard as potential art. I chose to keep them in order because it is a literal timeline of where I was throughout the last four years. I wanted this collection to be shown compared to some of my others because it is forever still in the progress and added too.



     


No comments:

Post a Comment