Monday, March 12, 2018

Symbolic Self Portrait

Morgan Grimes                                                                                              3.12.18
Advanced Drawing  


Project 2: Symbolic Self Portrait

            This assignment is one that I think gave a lot of freedom, and I wanted to explore that freedom in a way that was meaningful to me. I decided to do a series for this project because I feel narratives and progression images are something that I work well with. In addition many of my ideas flow off one another and contain multiple images, and I felt that a series of images would be better rather than trying to put too many ideas onto one piece of paper. For this assignment I wanted to explore a part of myself. I thought about my interests and personality and wanted to do something that explored both of those. I was very inspired by Dr. Mohammad Kamal and the work that he is now exhibiting that is called Artiscopic Cellular Art. His art comes from below the microscope and with my love of chemistry as well as biology I wanted to give this a try. At first I wanted to highlight my journey through chemistry and biology and some of the struggles I have faced in such a demanding major, but I kept hitting a wall with ideas. Because of this I started to focus more on Biology instead of chemistry. Since the assignment was to draw a symbolic self-portrait I didn’t want to get too lost in the biology. Dr. Mohammad’s work was a little too small for what I was aiming for. As I searched for images I realized that I still wanted to do a “traditional” self-portrait, I just wanted to add my own interests onto my self-portrait. From this idea I came up with doing multiple “portraits” but each one peeling back a layer.
            For the first portrait I chose an image of me that was simple. My hair is just blond, and I don’t have any makeup on. I wanted a portrait that was as “natural” as possible, I wanted my ideas to flow through my progression of images as a whole, not just form my traditional self-portrait. For the next image I peeled back the layer of skin. For this image I chose bright reds and wanted to make the muscles as realistic as possible. I made sure to use references of anatomically correct facial muscles. For this series of images I also wanted them to feel as though they could be placed on top of one another, as though they build upon each other. To achieve this I kept the face size and rendered the features as close as possible to the same place in each image. For the next image I peeled back the muscles to reveal the eyes and the veins/arteries in the face. For this one the eyes popped out a lot as they are pure white against a dark grey, and so again I chose a brighter red to help the veins/arteries be equal with the eyes. For the last image I stripped away the eyes and all the veins/arteries and finished the series with a simple skull. For me this series was great because it gave me a chance to work anatomically correct and also express my interest in biology, and that for me was a great was to do a symbolic self-portrait.







Research Images:


















Influences:








No comments:

Post a Comment