Monday, March 12, 2018

Symbolic Self Portrait


Sheridan Scifres
11 March 2018
Advanced Drawing
Hybrid Painting
BLOG POST #1

Artist Statement:
            I took advanced drawing this semester, and just in general, not because I use a lot of drawing in my practice or because I find it one of my favorite mediums. I took this class simply to get better at drawing, specifically the figure, because that is something I struggle with a lot. Hearing from prior students of this class that we spend around 4 weeks working on it, I knew this was my time to really gain practice in this medium of depicting the human form. So, as for this assignment: self-portrait. I knew I wanted to not focus on being to conceptual, but rather to really focus on the technical aspects of figure drawing. I started by choosing a photo of myself, which was quite hard when I never take selfies or have images taken of me. I choose the best one and decided to work with the medium of colored pencils, because I also wanted to practice realism, which I’ve never done before. I immediately became engrossed in this project and 20+ hours later I finally finished. The process was long and hard, and even though I feel like I did not quite achieve it, it was such a huge learning process for me above anything else. The most difficult task amongst this whole project was learning hat colors to use for different skin tones. Being primarily Greek, Mexican, and Jewish. I have a lot of olive tones in my skin and finding colors that made me look more olive then orange, or more dark, yet not brown was really hard for me. Due to the fact that my drawing came out very pink toned with some oranges makes me only want to try harder to learn how to achieve different colored skin tones and variations. Conceptually, there is not much going on in this piece because that fact that it’s a self-portrait of me painting a self-portrait of me. So essentially it’s a frame within a frame, in film terminology. The painting I am drawing within my drawing is of me running in simply lines work. This is because I didn’t want to realistically depict myself running. This I choose because running is not so much an act of physically exertion, but also one of mental. I want this image to come off as a very strong and composed individual, being myself, with a lot of strength, yet at the same time delicate in my ways by the open nature of the line drawing. I myself have been a runner my whole life, and running has tought me so much about myself, more than anything has in the past. Its something I know I can always go to as long as I am healthy and healed. In a way, it’s a form of meditation, so this piece for me is very strong yet calm at the same time. Overall, this piece was mainly myself navigating how to technically draw a portrait and shade realistically with colored pencils.

Research:
1. Kristen Liu-Wong










2.  Kwangho Shin












3.  Emma Leone Palmer




3.Tanya Ragir




This link is an article about different contemporary artist and how they visualize and create self-portrait work. Its very interesting to see how to all differentiae and see the figure differently.


How a machine can generate your own self-portrait, really cool, but is it actually art? Or is it the computers art?  Who claims authorship..?


This is just plain cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment