Monday, March 12, 2018

Symbolic Self Portrait

            I usually like to do portraits, but have always disliked doing self-portraits. So, when I first started to think about how I was going to do this project, I knew that I was not going to be drawing myself. Instead, the first thing that came to mind was a turtle to represent a side of myself that doesn’t show in my busy day-to-day life. I have always admired sea turtles for their peaceful and simple lives. I have been a certified scuba diver for seven years and love to dive with them and watch them glide through the water with the amount of grace that I aspire to have. My mom is from Hawaii and my family and I spend a lot of time there. I love walking on the beach and finding them napping on the sand. I want to be able to live the life of a turtle: swimming in the ocean and lounging on the beach. However, this desire contradicts my career path that I have wanted since I was a child. I want to be a chef and restaurant owner and will have to work extremely hard to reach my goal of owning a successful restaurant. I would not be able to do this by swimming and sleeping all day. When I am in California and in school, my life is so fast-paced. Juggling six classes, 25-hour work weeks, a social life, and fitness doesn’t leave much room for relaxation. Going to Hawaii is when I am able to relax and live a different lifestyle. When I am older and no longer working, and hopefully after I’ve had a successful career, I want to be able to live like a turtle.
            During my research for this project, I looked mostly at Frida Kahlo’s self-portraits for inspiration. Her use of animals to represent things or people of her life is similar to what I wanted to accomplish in my piece. Additionally, she filled the background space with nature scenes that represent certain aspects of the message of the self-portrait. For example, Kahlo has used monkeys in the background as a symbol of protection. The links that I have included are to websites that analyze the symbolism in some specific self-portraits. One of the links is to her website that has many articles written about her self-portraits.

            Five of the images that I have included are self-portraits by Frida Kahlo. I focused on the ones that include animals because I knew that I wanted my self-portrait to be of an animal. I also looked at two images that didn’t have a figure in them and showed items that are representative of the artist. They both show a collection of items that the artist found important, maybe because they used the items a lot or because they were favorites of the artist. The last three images have a figure in them but also include other things in the pieces. One shows a cat which may imply that the artist loves cats or thinks of herself as a cat. The other two show a figure surrounded by patterns or items that may be important or represent parts of the artists’ life.     










No comments:

Post a Comment