Sunday, May 14, 2017

An Autobiographical Map

Statement

      The process in which I executed my final project, "An Autobiographical Map", I have fled from my traditional project planning of my artwork and was pleasantly surprised to find beauty in impulsive and odd ways to produce an image. The most important aspect of creating this piece comes from the shapes that later turn into a landscape of emotion and character. I find pleasure in expressing my experiences through color and creatures that convey a specific response to the piece as a whole.
        The physical experience of creating this piece felt so natural and inviting to finish, I had no trouble dealing with issues and obstacles along the way. I also felt free to use any drawing mediums I could find around the house. I used an assortment of materials, including acrylics, gauche, watercolors, glitter, marker, ink, etc. Starting with a blob of color or random shape, I build off of a detail with more detail until there is no more white space. 
        "An Autobiographical Map" was majorly influenced by a question I am frequently posed: what is art? Art can only be created with intention of some sort. If there is no intention, is it art? I find that my final project plays with the idea of formalities in gallery setting, but I also literally represent this playfulness through vibrant colors and graphic lines. On one hand, I would like my viewer to become lost in the variety of textures and patterns in my piece, but on the other hand, also question the rules or limits of the art market.  
         I have also always been deeply influenced by Frida Kahlo's work and her life story. She went through many painful experiences that prompted her to start painting these beautiful, symbolic self-portraits. She incorporated grotesque and vibrant colors to portray her torment. In my final project, I use cartoon-like characters and playful scenes to convey the current anxiety I feel in my life right now. 
         This piece is also a large-scale continuation of my sketchbook drawings, in the sense that I uphold the freedom to doodle on a canvas and focus on filling the white space. I enjoy creating art this way, especially in times of stress and pain. This semester of school was extremely difficult for me, and a major escape is my sketchbook and journal, which gives me more of an incentive to create a project that makes me excited, rather than stressed. The layers of colors I overlap and the patterns that flow together in "An Autobiographical Map" are imagery I create from impulsive mark-making, which help me lose myself in my work, focusing on the shapes and colors on the paper. 

Bio:
I am originally from San Francisco and moved to Orange, California to attend Chapman University. I am currently going to be a junior, majoring in Studio Art with a focus in painting and drawing. My interests and focuses are primarily creating work that furthers my journey as an artist, but also to express myself in some sort of physical way. My goal, as an artist, is to convey transformative work that conveys my progression/ timeline as an individual in society. I am overjoyed when people recognize my work or feel affected by it somehow. I think it is important to express yourself in a physical way, whether it be drawing or writing, or even just running, to create a tangible experience or object and reflect on it for personal growth. 

    

http://bryanlewissaunders.org/drugs/

https://www.gavinbrown.biz/artists/kerstin_brtsch/works




No comments:

Post a Comment