Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Self Generated

This was a completely unique approach to a drawing project for me, and i ended up finding a great satisfaction in it. I began with making the first object that I felt I could create when I picked up the clay, so I made bread. But after the bread left me just hungry and uninspired, I decided to try the alternative approach and start with a drawing, create it in clay, and draw it again. This way I could redefine a piece of art that I felt deserved more attention, and a new interpretation. I took one of my beloved doodle figures that I made a while back and created him out of clay. I chose him, “Jazz Man”, because he is my most iconic doodle and I have envisioned him in larger, more indepth form. First I made him into a two dimensional clay sculpture, and painted on his colored features as in the drawing, but he begged for some more life and dimension. I expanded the paper-restricted form of his being and created a fully dimensional little abstract statue. I left him in his tan state and used colored lights to define his figure and add tinted shadows. I left him tan because I noticed his figure resembled something of a religious prayer statue, in my opinion, he would be the god of dance. I also thought it reflected his rudimentary components, because he is composed of basic shapes and a simple line form.
il_340x270.611612765_p4b2.jpgIMG_4162.JPG
I drew him in charcoal, which I felt was the medium that reflected his physical form best. I found it successful when blending his tan but tonal base. And when adding layers of colored tints for highlights and shadows. I kept the background simple but responsive to the pale colors of the figure. I framed him with slightly less headroom than footroom, and had his form take up the full center of the page. I set him at a slightly low angle so it feels as if you’re looking a bit up at him, to further the feeling of his divinity. The background is a simple pale blue and dark purple halo around him, with a sunset colored cloud abstraction. My process with actually drawing him began with choosing the mid tone colored pastel of his base and executing it as a figure drawing, scribbling the form and movement of his shapes. From there I did layers and layers of colors, for shading and definition, until the pastel wouldn’t stick to the paper anymore, and then he was complete. As for the background I began with the lavender aura because I felt he needed to be radiating a purple energy, expressive of mystery and wisdom. Over that I layered paler tones to create clouds and add a natural element.
IMG_4160.JPG
I was inspired by the work of Allison Schulnik, because she created her own abstract and whimsical figures from her own creative realm, and brought them to life with dynamic qualities. She created figures that could only be spawned from her own imagination, which is why I’m so attached and proud of Jazz Man, because he is my own original creation. https://vimeo.com/31110838

grizzly.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment