Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Self-Generated Subject

The self-generated subject project reversed the usual approach to drawing because it involved the application of our imagination to a greater extent right off the bat. Instead of simply drawing what we see, we took a step back and created and made our subject, thus rendering a work that is uniquely personal.

When molding my creature, I had originally wanted it to look like a fox. I drew inspiration from my dog, whom my sister and I often say looks like a mix between a fox and a weasel. Of this initial concept, only one thing made it through the trial and error phase of molding: the ears. The creature’s ears are about the size of its head, a trait it shares with my dog. When trying to make the body, I was applying my high school Ceramics I knowledge. I used a cognac cup as a mold in order to get the rounded shape and I liked how the bottom of the creature seemed to flow off like cloth, so I decided to make it a ghost. . I knew I wanted something to ooze out of the ghost’s eyes, and in the end I decided to make flowers grow out of the holes and out from under it. The concept behind this decision was the resilience of nature in that it ultimately defeats the test of times and is able to grow, adapting to its surroundings along the way, in this case, growing around and finding a way out. In a sense, I see my ghost as a defender of nature.      
 
One of the artists whose work I looked at closely for this project was Allison Schulnik. After having seen her videos in class, I was moved by her claymations because the creatures she makes are not particularly “cute” or “pretty”, but they have a strong presence to the point that the viewer can sympathize as they melt into nothing. I was mostly inspired by her ability to give each creature a personality despite the simplicity of its form. I have attached a link to one of her videos. The creature in the picture is one of her creations. As you can see, it looks like it’s up to something, almost mischievous, and yet it looks like it is surprised to be seen.


For the drawing, I decided to work with soft pastels because they would allow me to get the range of value and color that I wanted. I typically work very rigidly with pastels, blending to the point of no return, that is, muddiness. However, recently I have had this new found appreciation and fascination for chaos and messiness (I have my room to prove it). So, I used a combination of blending and overlapping of color. A closer look at the drawing will show that most of the image is made by a blend of different colored scribbles, which give the 2D image a sense of movement. The background was achieved by a more decisive mark making, in which the lines were made with both hands and involved a full body motion to make. It was the most liberating section and the one in which I had less control. The foreground, mainly the table was colored by using the run off, the dust that had collected on the ground below me.



Overall, this project pushed my concept of drawing to a new level where I have to think about the drawing even before I know what my subject will be. It is definitely something that I will continue to explore in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment