Monday, April 17, 2017

Self- Generated Project

I have never used paperclay before so it was very fun to play with the new material. As I was sculpting it was hard to get certain shapes due to the nature of the clay, but I really wanted to create whatever came to me in that moment. More recently I have been in a defeated mood. I just don't give a fuck anymore about certain things. Sometimes it's when you stop caring so much and let go that things work out. I feel like that apply to my art as well. I am the type of artist that can get stuck on the details but I have been working a lot on being more lose with my lines.
So for this sculpture I wanted to express this mood i've been in. I just don't care about certain things. Nothing excites me, surprises me, or disappoints me because I just feel so numb to the subject. I felt too strongly about it that it exhausted all the feelings out of me. The character I sculpted has its eyes closed because it just wants to be done with the day. It’s ready for bed and it's trying to clear its head of all the noise. A middle finger is coming out of the head because all it can think about is that it doesn't give a fuck anymore. It can also be interpreted as a “fuck off” or “fuck you” because it is just so done with the day it wants to be left alone. The pipe and smoke signifies that the character it's trying to cope with this feeling. It is as if it is metaphorically blowing out all the negative feelings.
When it came to the drawing aspect to this project I wanted it to be very stylized. I wanted it to be close to my doodling style to represent the “I don't give a fuck” feel to it. When I am doodling I am not worried about creating a perfect piece I am solely just trying to express myself and let my thoughts go. I also wanted to color it with bring stimulating colors so that I could make the background dark and musky. I wanted the colors to give a more playful feel to it so that the artwork does not feel so depressing. This piece is not supposed to feel sad but rather feel hopeful. Even though this character is going through a tough time the colors represent the hope and the coping aspect.
An artist that  inspired me for this project is Cooper Richmond. I love his use of colors and the way he blends them. He has a way of using so much color but applying it in a way that is not overwhelming. So I actually asked him to help pick out my color scheme. I was also inspired by doodles I just found on tumblr and my own doodles of course. I do not have names of the artists that inspired my work due to the fact that I could not find their name on their artworks.


          Other doodle art artists: http://www.creativebloq.com/illustration/doodle-art-912775

No comments:

Post a Comment