Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Collage Project "Sparkly Faces"

Sammy Keane
“Sparkly Faces”


“Sparkly Faces” is a four-part series that depicts continuous-line drawings of faces made of glitter.
These glitter drawings are created on top of an abstract, cubist, and collaged handmade background.
The backgrounds themselves are made up found pieces and patterns from artists in several series of “Art Forum’s”.
In no specific order, the artists included in creating the backgrounds are Carol Brown Goldberg, Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac,
Sue Williams, Keith Haring, Keltie Ferris, Favid Allan Peters, Howard Hodgkin, Li Songsong, Greene Naftali,
Mel Bochner, Paul McCarthy, and Louise Bourgeois. These backgrounds were combined simply in a stylistic
manner where I cut out square-like or rectangular shapes to try to compile an interesting, engaging, and active setting for
the face to be on without it being too distracting. Lastly, while compiling the “Art Forum” cutouts, I tried to keep a consecutive
style or color scheme to make it flow nicely. I chose to create faces on top of these backgrounds because I wanted to depict what
maybe my face would look like if I were looking at these colorful backgrounds. The faces are very abstract and in some cases hard
to even depict as a face, but that was my overall goal. For this series, I was not only inspired by the artists listed
above but when I was creating the face I was looking to artists such as Allison Kunath and Picasso. I have
always enjoyed Picasso’s cubist and abstract depiction of faces. I tried to convey this same loose technique with
the contour and continuous techniques of Allison Kunath. Below are pictures that inspired me by Picasso and Kunath.






In addition to Picasso and Kunath, when laying out the background and trying to integrate glitter in a successful way, I was looking to the Mickalene Thomas's work. Thomas is amazing at coming up with beautiful color schemes and consecutive patterns to compile an active collage piece. She also is very successful in incorporating glitter on her works in a subtle and nice way. I have used glitter in some of my artworks in the past and I love the way it adds not the only dimension to a work but also adds a very inviting and moving aspect. Below are some pictures of Thomas's work that inspired me to use glitter but also helped me with laying out the backgrounds.




References and links used for more inspiration. 



No comments:

Post a Comment